Feedback Thoughts

In all honesty, receiving feedback is something that I anticipate with a slight amount of fear. I think that we, as students, have actually been conditioned to feel this nervous anticipation when waiting for a grade from a quiz, test, or assignment. I know, for me, that I am quick to look at a grade to determine if I'm "good" at something or not, and I'm one to let negative feedback eat away at me.

Upon reading the article, "Seven Ways to Crush Self-Doubt in Creative Work", I've come to realize that everyone struggles with some type of self-doubt, whether it be career related, school related, etc. I liked the point that the article made about how your mindset and views regarding success mean so much. It's all about what we view as a "success". Successes don't have to be huge tasks that cannot be completed, and can instead be smaller things. I think this type of mindset can keep us all from being raging self-critics.

The article, "A fixed mindset could be holding you back- here's how to change it", made some very interesting points as well. I especially liked the part that talked about how medical professionals struggle with making mistakes. Rather than thinking that mistakes should never happen, it is essential that we view them as things we can learn from and better ourselves from. I liked the idea that if something happens in a medical setting that doesn't go to plan, that the entire team meets and talks about different ways of solving the problem next time something arises.

Overall, I think feedback is something that we should not be reluctant to receive or give. It really is about our mindset, how we view, and what we take from the feedback!

Here's a cute kitty from the Feedback blog...

(Feedback is helpful: don't fear it. Source: Feedback Cats blog)

Comments

Popular Posts