Feedback Strategies

Upon reading the Feedback Gallery and articles related to giving actual constructive feedback, I've realized that I've been doing the whole feedback thing all wrong. I liked the point that the article, "The Trouble with Amazing: Giving Praise that Matters", made where it explained that saying "You're amazing" only praises the person and not the effort. I learned from Carol Dweck's  research that praising the person only leads to that individual having a "fixed" mindset and being unwilling or unmotivated to grow in certain aspects of their life... I completely agree with directing feedback at the action and not the person.

In addition to this, the article "How to Give Bad Feedback Without Being a Jerk", made an interesting point that individuals typically remember the first and last things that you talk about, so the "feedback sandwich" idea is ineffective. I am guilty at feeling bad when I am trying to give a person feedback, so I often add "fluff" to make the feedback sound less negative. After reading these articles, however, I realized that you should approach it in an extremely clear and up-front manner so that the positive things that you say don't seem "fake".

(We improve from feedback. Source: Feedback Padlet)

Comments

  1. Hi Lindsay!

    I like the point you made about the feedback sandwich! I have heard about this a lot when looking at different feedback strategies. Although I have heard about it, I had never given much thought to why that was such an effective strategy. Now that you explain people hear the first and last things we typically say, it all makes sense!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts