Week 4 Lab

Advice to Writers...

Upon browsing through Jon Winokur's site, I immediately was drawn to a quote titled, "Why Does One Begin to Write?". In this quote, it explained how people begin to write because sometimes words come out on paper easier than through speech. For me, this is absolutely true, as I sometimes have trouble putting my thoughts into words on the spot. In addition, it made the statement that writing is a way to pass time and record things that you can enjoy reading back after some amount of time is passed. For me, I journal occasionally and I like to go back and see what I've written before and compare and contrast what has happened, etc.

Next, I found a really interesting piece of advice titled, "Perfectionism is the Enemy of the People".
This quote explained how being a perfectionist is a miserable thing that keeps you "cramped and insane". Being a perfectionist myself in certain aspects of my life, I notice that often times when I have that perfectionist attitude, I don't enjoy myself and what I'm doing as much as when I drop that mindset and just do what I want to do. I think this piece of advice is extremely valuable, especially in writing because most of the time, the "perfect" piece comes from a mistake.

I think that all of the advice on this site is extremely valuable and can be helpful to anyone that is stuck in their writing or wants to improve their writing mindset! I look forward to accessing this site more often.

Here's a cool image of a typewriter that I found...

File:Skrifmaskin, Halda-maskin, Nordisk familjebok.png
(Halda Typewriter, Source: Wikimedia)

Comments

  1. Hi Lindsay,
    I have also noticed that I write my thoughts down first when I have a hard time putting my words together. When I need to make a phone call to the bursar's office, for example, I need to write down my thoughts first so they can understand what the issue is. As you can see, its a long process! :( I struggle with perfectionism as well. Sometimes it prevents me from taking new risks. With the advice you gave, I hope I can change this mindset!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts