Week 10 Lab

Writer's Write
When I was browsing through the Writers Write blog, I came across an article titled "10 Powerful Recurring Themes in Children's Stories". This stood out to me because my StoryBook theme is Nursery Rhymes, which are typically written for children. After reading, I found it interesting that children want elements such as...

  1.  suspense
  2. characters who act to solve problems
  3. characters who are believable
... in the stories that they read. The article explained that these elements are wanted by children so that they don't feel alone and can have something (a character or problem in the story) that they can relate to. I look forward to using this advice in my future StoryBook stories.

I also read "10 Ideas for Cliffhangers". In this article, it presented 10 cliffhanger ideas that I found very useful and would not have thought of myself. For example, one idea is to present a ticking clock, or the idea that a certain deadline must be met, which introduces a sense of urgency. In addition, I really liked the idea of dangling a carrot. With this idea, you show the character that something he or she wants desperately is there, but is out of reach. I am excited to use some of these ideas in my storytelling!

Comments

Popular Posts